Sunday, January 15, 2012

TSS: 01/15/2012



What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....
It has been a while since I have participated in The Sunday Salon.  I don't even know where to start.

Nothing much happen this week for me reading wise.  It has been very slow.  After taking a long break from reading and blogging I am trying to find my footing.  It's still a work in progress.

Book Club

At the end of last year I started a book club on Meetup.  There aren't to many book clubs in the Miami area.  If there are I haven't been able to find them.  I have only seen two active ones and both of them are outside my traveling distant.  The one that I could go to and try to a attend every few months, meets up on a Wednesday night.  Which is hard for me because of work, distance and the bus ride.

That being said.  I started my own, near to my house that meets once a month on Saturday.  This month was our first official meeting and we talked about Wench (review).  It was a lively meeting and I really enjoyed myself.  If you haven't tried a book club I highly suggest that you do.  It was a great way to spend an Saturday.

One of the things that I learned from the book club is to write my reviews before the meeting. After I got back I tried to write the review for Wench and I didn't go so well.  My thoughts were scattered because there were so many talking points brought up.  My review suffered because of it.

Challenges

This year I aim to read fifty books.  The good thing about GoodReads is that there is a little widget that will track how many books you have read.  So, far I am on track.  Hopefully, I can keep it up.

I signed up for The Unread Book Challenge 2012.  Basically it is a challenge to that encourages the reading of books that are already owned.  In my initial post, I claimed that I own 57 books but that doesn't include my digit collection.  Only books in which I own a physical hard copy.

That got me thinking, I really should include my whole collection both digital and physical. If I do (and I will) that  means I have currently a total 518 books. Which stuns me, most of the books on my Nook where free and a good number of them are classics.  But oh my word.  I have some reading to do.

Blog Appearance

I got tried of the old blog template so I tried to change it.  But couldn't find one that I liked.  So, I went back to basics until something catches my eye.

Anyone know a good website for free blogger templates.

That's it for me now.

See you next Sunday,
MoniqueReads

No comments:

Post a Comment