Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Hunted by LA Banks

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Pages: 493
Genre: Paranormal (Urban Fantasy)
Series: Vampire Huntress Legend Book 3
Publication Date: 2004

Synopsis (From Google Books):
Each millennium brings a new Neteru, a vampire huntress whose mission is to vanquish evil from the world. This millennium's savior has come in the form of Damali Richards, a hip-hop diva with the heart of a warrior and an attitude to match. But a war in Hell has cost Damali both her powers and her past love, Carlos Rivera. Still, Damali can't let her grief stand in her way. Several gruesome deaths, starting with an American research team, have come to Damali's attention in Brazil. The nature of the deaths leads Damali to believe that the killer is anything but human...

Unknown to Damali, the life of Master Vampire Carlos Rivera was saved by a most unlikely group: a band of monks also dedicated to fighting the Dark Realm. In exchange, they want Carlos to help stop the inhuman murders plaguing Brazil-and they will use Damali as bait if they have to. Reunited, Damali and Carlos give in to the erotic passion they have fought for so long. Together, they are a powerful force. But Damali has made a terrifying enemy who won't rest until the beautiful Neteru is dead...

Review:

In January I reviewed the second book in the Vampire Huntress Legend, "The Awakening". In that book, I give a little background information about what the series is all about. So, if you are unfamiliar with the series please check out that post.

I am a total fan of this series. When I got the book from the library I was really excited. I was actually kind of made that "New Moon" by Stephenie Meyers was standing in my way of reading a more adult vampire romance story.

What I really enjoy about Banks writing in this series is that she gives you a little more information on the background of the characters and their history with each book. As the story moves along the rules of the vampire world are reveled and shows how much thought that she put into this series. One of the main problems that I had with "New Moon" was that the characters (particularly Bella) were not growing and developing. I don't have that problem with this series. In "The Hunted" the main character Damali continues to not only grow as a person but her skills as a vampire hunter continue to improve. I also like watching her relationship with Carlos develops and grow.

Unfortunately, Banks still has not still has a problem with language in this book. The slang that she uses seems a little forced to me and outdated. I have gotten use to it, so it is not a major issue with me now but it still bothers me. Another problem with this story is that the characters end up in Brazil and she doesn't make the switch. What I mean, is that all the Brazilian characters use the American slang terms and now the actions (fist pound which is also outdated unless you are Obama or older). It takes away from the feel that the characters are in a foreign place. Everyone they meet also somehow seems to know English (that could be because they are all for the most part paranormal creatures) not very believable (Yes, I know it is a vampire story).

Pros: Character Development, Drama
Cons: Language

Overall Recommendation:

If you read the Twilight series and want something more grown up this might be for you. I suggest reading the first two books first. But be warned this is an adult book and the slang takes some getting use to.

Preview: Click Here

Challenges:
Library Challenge (6 out of 25)
Series Challenge (4 out of 15)
TBR Challenge (7 out of 12)

Other Stuff:

Is anyone else having a problem with seeing the bold items when they look on the site from the blogger? I am and it is making me mad. I know the font is working because it shows up in Google Reader (yes, I subscribe to my own site) and when I sort the post. But not from the regular homepage.


If you have a review of this book or any other book reviewed on my site. Post a link to that review in the comment section so, I can link back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment