Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Beach Reading


What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

It's been awhile since I have participated in The Sunday Salon. If I am honest with myself it has been a long time since I have participated in the world of books and book blogging. I have done some reading but it has been spotty and I never got around to posting my reviews or reading reviews of other bloggers.

I live in Miami now, only about a 10 minute walk from the beach. I have lived in this apartment for over a year and never once spent the day enjoying the beach and warm ocean water. One of the New Years Resolutions that I had made for myself was to go to the beach at least once a week and read. It's now June, six months into the year and this is the first time that I have kept my resolution.

I don't why it took me so long. It was such a relaxing experience. I spent two hours at the beach, just laying around and reading. I think the beach made me enjoy the book I am reading even more. Currently, I am reading The Promises She Keeps by Erin Healy. I have been trying to complete it for months and have been having a problem completing it. I don't that it is all the books fault, the majority of the blame is probably me. It's hard to balance everything, work and fun. But I am trying.


This is the view I enjoyed while reading. I don't know what took me so long to walk the five blocks to the beach, but now I am hooked. Now, I am hooked and can't wait until next Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. That shot of the beach looks fantastic! I wish I was relaxing somewhere like that right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I stayed near a beach. I spent some time last weekend reading at a beach, and it was a relaxing experience!

    ReplyDelete