Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted by Bermudaonion, where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!
(all definitions are courtesy of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
- zydeco (noun) - popular music of southern Louisiana that combines tunes of French origin with elements of Caribbean music and the blues and that features guitar, washboard, and accordion
- "They swung out, zydecoed, hollered and got in line with everyone else when the band did a rendition of the 'Cupid Shuffle" ~pg. 51
- I am familiar with the Cupid Shuffle by zydeco is new to me. Apparently, it is not only music but also a form of dance. I couldn't find any good clips (that I liked) of zydeco dance but here is the Cupid Shuffle.
- chasm (noun) - a major division, separation, or difference between two people, groups, etc.
- "A chasm had sprung up between them that would probably never close, and for that, Leena wept." ~ pg. 68
- tantamount (adjective) - equal to something in value, meaning, or effect
- It was tantamount to asking for a straitjacket. ~154