Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Back Again

What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....

After being gone for about a week I am back. I didn't go anywhere but took a week away from blogging. I ave been reading. In fact I have read three books. Two of which I still need to review. I have never had books lined up to be read. I think this will be the last time this happens.

The Pulitzer Project: One of the perpetual challenges that I am doing is reading the Pulitzer's. I have only read five of them but since this challenge has no official start and stop date, I am going to take it easy. As I have stated in a previous Sunday Salon, I have become a list person. In the spirit of making list I have created a spreadsheet for this challenge. It is based and works just like the 1,001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list. In fact I borrowed most all of the formulas from it. You can get it from Google Documents, here.

Hosted Challenge: I have announced that I am hosting a Toni Morrison Mini Challenge. The challenge starts in September and last til the end of the year. I haven't even started to plan what books I am going to read. But I still have a few weeks. You can sign up here.

Staying Opened Minded: I won a copy of The Vixen Manual: How To Find, Seduce & Keep The Man You Want by Karrine Steffans a couple of weeks ago from Books Soulmate. If you don't know who Karrine Steffans is her is a brief introduction. She use to be a video model for mostly rap/hip hop videos. She has slept with numerous men in both music and spots. She wrote a book about her exploits and named names. Anyways, once upon a time I tried to read her first book Confessions of a Video Vixen but the writing was bad and atmosphere of the book was bad, so I abandoned it about halfway through and vowed to never pick up another one of her books. Then she came out with this and it perked my interest. Why? Because I wanted to know what she has to say about finding a man and if her advice is good and sound. I am trying to be opened minded but knowing her background it is hard. I am only on the second chapter and so far it's okay but I am only on page 11. I have find something that I disagree with but I'll save that for the review or another post. It's hard to stay open minded when reading a relationship advice book by a woman whose nickname use to be Superhead, sex advice maybe, relationship advice I don't know.

Coming Up This Week (Reviews Scheduled):
Adulthood Rites by Octavia E. Butler
Imago Octavia E. Butler
The Vixen Manual by Karrine Steffans
The Well and The Mine by Gin Phillips
Hair Story by Ayana D. Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment