Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Finds: January 30


It's Friday Finds day again. The only time that I let myself add books to my wish list (other than when I am participating in group reads. I have a total of four finds this week.

I originally tried to post "The House at Sugar Beach" by Helene Cooper two weeks ago but something went wrong so, I deleted it. This is memoir. When Cooper was growing up in Liberian, her family was rich. They took in a foster child. But Liberia's government was overthrown and they fled, leaving the foster child behind. This is Cooper's story.






"The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson has been getting great review all over the booking blog world. I even heard a good review about it on a book podcast (I think it was Books on The Nightstand). So, I decided to add it to my list.









"Broken" by Daniel Clay was reviewed at The Book Zombie. The review sound very good and maybe like something I would not normally pick up for myself. So, it goes on the list.









As a child I can remember seee "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende on television all the time. When I say it as a bargain movie a couple of years ago, I bought it and I never buy movies. I never really thought that it was based on a book. So, when I saw the book review over at Hey Lady! Whatcha Reading, I decided to tuck the information away for a later date. And this is the prefect time to use it.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the House on Sugar Beach. She does a beautiful job of telling her family's story while also telling the history of her home country. Great book.
    Several of my co-workers have read The Gargoyle and enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the books sound great and I'm particularly attracted to The Gargoyle. I'd need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. House on sugar beach, I havent read it but from reviews it is a really good book.

    ReplyDelete