Thursday, November 20, 2008

20% Rule

While trying to complete the 50 book challenge and expand my reading taste, I have ran into books that I just could not get into. Books that halfway through I could not force myself to go any further.

In order to save myself trouble but still give each book I pick up a chance, I have implemented the 20% rule.

The 20% rule is really simple. Basically, I have to read 20% of a book before I throw in the towel and call it a lose.

20% does not sound like a lot but for a 400 page book that is 80 pages. 20% should be enough time to catch my attention. If an author can't catch my attention in that amount of time, than why should I continue?

I think by reading 20% of a book, I am giving the book a fair chance.

Any thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. I like this concept! I usually have to finish a book no matter how crappy it is, especially if I own it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this concept! Though I usually have to finish a book that I've started, especially if I own it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a fair strategy. I usually can't bear not finishing a book even though it's a lemon but I'm getting good at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina @ Book Dragon's LairDecember 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM

    Great idea. I've got two right now that fit this. I'm going to start using this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I am four years late (LOL), but I love this idea!!!

    I hate when I cannot finish a book, but since I am battling with "Moby's Dick", I may have to implement this rule.

    ReplyDelete