Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Round The World Passage

This is a challenge that I found in the "I Love Reading Challenges" group on Shelfari. Below are the Rules.

This idea is a combination of the 7 continents / Olympic challenges and Round the World Tickets (real tickets you can purchase to travel round the world). It's really my first attempt at creating reading challenges so be kind to me :) Do ask if I need to clarify any other rules etc...
Read a book (or more if you’d like to) that is located in certain city / country or by an author of that city / country. You decide which city / country you’d like to ‘visit’ however the following conditions (similar to the RTW ticket’s) apply:

1. Maximum Mileage: 40,000 miles* (Unlimited stops – see how generous I am) with a minimum of 20,000 miles (5 stops)

2. The start and end of the journey have to be located in the same country

3. Choose a direction you’d like to take (East or West only) mainly when jumping continents, you can go north & south when you're within a continent

4. One crossing each of the Atlantic and Pacific must be included in the itinerary (but only one crossing allowed over each oceans)

5. Try not to backtrack within a continent - I know this was really hard

6. Minimum of 20,000 and or 5 stops

*To help you in calculating your mileage, the below site may be useful: Google Map Distance Calculator. I haven't set any dates because I think it should be flexible (at least for the first time around anyway, who knows if people enjoy it, I'll put it up again next year with a more strict time frame)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This challenge takes a little be a preparation to get started. But that is okay. At least I have a list of books that I know that I am going to have to read.

My destinations (books):


  1. Florida: "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neal Hurston (Review)
  2. New York: "The Catcher in The Rye" by J.D. Salinger (Review)
  3. Iceland: "The Journey Home:A Novel" (Review)
  4. Ireland: "Talking to the Dead" by Helen Dunmore (Review)
  5. England: "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Mauier (Review)
  6. The Netherlands: "Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank (Review)
  7. France: "Chocolat" by Joanne Harris (Review)
  8. Italy: "Don't Move" by Margaret Mazzantini
  9. Spain: "The Club Dumas " by Arthuro Perez-Reverte
  10. Sudan: "What is What" by Dave Eggers
  11. South Africa: "Mandela: The Authorized Biography" by Anthony Sampson
  12. Antarctica: "The Brief History of The Dead:A Novel" by Kevin Brockmeier
  13. Australia: "Rabbit Proof Fence" by Doris Pilkington
  14. Japan: "The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama
  15. Mexico: "Red Glass" by Laura Resau
  16. Louisiana: "The Witching Hour" by Ann Rice
  17. Alabama:
  18. Florida:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As you can see I have chosen a lot of stops. I wanted to cover a lot of different areas. I tried to find authors that we from each of the countries as well as stories that dealt with the location. I haven't decided what to read for Antarctica or the last Florida novel yet. But that is a long way away so I still have some time.

I think that I am going to try and read one book every two or three weeks. This should take a least a year (hopefully not longer).

No comments:

Post a Comment